Tuesday 22 April 2014

Cantatas for the Esterházys - Haydn

A world premiere recording of festive cantatas to the glory of Prince Nicolaus esterházy. Two of these three works have never been played since their first performances in 1763 and 1764. Haydn composed them in the relative isolation of the princely court, and they display the full artistic resources of the Vice-Kapellmeister, and he then was. "There was nobody in my vicinity to confuse and annoy me in my course, and so I had to become original". (Joseph Haydn)

Option1     Option2

5 comments:

  1. Odd that you have this in a Baroque Music site...This is great music but most definitely not Baroque

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, but there are some baroque sprinkles in it.
    In fact, there will be just few exceptions regarding classicism and high renaissance that Im planing to post here (this is one of them)

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, but you can say the same thing about Mozart's Requiem from 1791! (as a matter of fact you can find Baroque sprinkles in most of his music after 1782.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. True also, but as I said, I will think just to post some exceptions. I have posted a selection of Mozarts Magic flute, and I think is over with him (I love Mozart by the way), I did that because that recording pleased me exceedingly, the same with this of Hydn's and all the recordings here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More power to you, Juno. It is your blog!

      Delete